Our Community Work
Over many years our various fund-raising events have raised substantial sums which we have been able to distribute to a wide range of good causes within our community. Information about the many organisations who have benefited from our donations can be found on our ‘Charitable Donations‘ page.
In addition we have a Lions Community Bus which goes to Tollgate on the first Wednesday morning of every month and into Colchester on the third Wednesday morning. It is also used by the Friday Fish and Chip Club at the Community Hall in Melrose Road (former St John Ambulance Hall).
Our Lions Beach-hut is available for use in return for a donation towards its upkeep.
Each Christmas Day we deliver a lunch and tea to anyone who is at home-alone on that day.
With the help of
- Boots the Chemist, West Mersea
- Patrick Menzies Opticians, West Mersea
- Specsavers, Colchester
- Owen Aves, Colchester
- Tolgate Surgery, Colchester
- St Helena’s Hospice Charity Shop, West Mersea
we have collected over 10,000 pairs of used spectacles in the last 18 months that are recycled and benefit people in developing countries.
We also maintain INK BINS for recycling used ink cartridges at
- Mersea Barns, East Mersea
- East of England Co-Op, Barfield Road, West Mersea
- Mersea Island Community Centre, (MICA), 38a High Street, West Mersea
- Adler Business Systems Ltd, Unit 30 Waldegraves Business Park, West Mersea
Please place your cartridges in the bins and The Lions Club collect them for recycling. We earn money from these collections for our Charity Account.